Codes and Frequencies
GEO_ BJ1996_2011 indicates the region of Benin where the respondent was interviewed. The variable is integrated to yield units with consistent boundaries across samples.
Labels identify the modern geographic units (departments) contained in each integrated region. Each sample also has its own non-integrated geography variable. The 2006 and 2011 Benin samples have greater geographic detail available in their sample-specific variables.
An integrated GIS map (in shapefile format) for Benin can be downloaded here.
Benin had 6 provinces in 1996, which later split into 12 departments:
- Donga created from Atacora
- Littoral created from Atlantique
- Alibori created from Borgou
- Couffo created from Mono
- Plateau created from Ou?m?
- Collines created from Zou
In the 2001 sample, departments in Benin were grouped in the original data. The department groups were similar to provinces in 1996.
- Benin 1996: All women age 15-49.
- Benin 2001: All women age 15-49.
- Benin 2006: All women age 15-49.
- Benin 2011: All women age 15-49.