Codes and Frequencies
ABORTPLACE reports the type of medical facility or other place (such as at home) where the respondent had her most recent abortion performed.
The harmonized coding categories in the IPUMS-DHS variable ABORTPLACE were constructed to reflect the major and minor categories in the original DHS variable. The major categories are:
- 1000: Public sector facilities
- 2000: Private medical sector facilities
- 3000: Non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- 4000: Unspecified medical sector
- 5000: Other
The second, third, and fourth digits of ABORTPLACE's codes distinguish between specific locations and provide additional detail, if available.
- Congo Brazzaville 2005: Women age 15-49 whose last pregnancy termination in the past 5 years was an abortion.
- Congo Brazzaville 2011: Women age 15-49 who had an abortion in the last 5 years.
- India 2015: Women age 15-49 whose most recent terminated pregnancy in the past 5 years was an abortion.
- Liberia 2007: Women age 15-24 who have ever had an abortion.
- South Africa 2016: Women age 15-49 who had a surgical or surgical and medical abortion in the past 5 years.