Codes and Frequencies
ALFREQ reports how often the respondent drinks alcohol (daily, weekly, or less often).
In addition to universe differences and slight differences in question wording, ALFREQ differs across samples in the number of response categories.
To maximize comparability, IPUMS-DHS uses composite coding, with "Never" responses having a first digit of "0," "Occasionally" responses having a first digit of "1," and "Daily" responses having a first digit of "2." The second and third digits provide further detail, when this additional information is available.
Comparability - Standard DHS
ALFREQ is a country-specific question, and it is not included in any phase of the standard DHS questionnaire.
- Angola 2015: All women age 15-49.
- Burundi 2016: All women age 15-49.
- Ethiopia 2016: Women age 15-49 who have ever drunk alcohol.
- India 2005: Women age 15-49 who drink alcohol.
- India 2015: Women age 15-49 who drink alcohol.
- Tanzania 2015: Women age 15-49 who have ever drunk alcohol.