ANSWELL_ALL variables are 1-digit variables.
0 = No
1 = Yes
7 = Don't know
8 = Missing
9 = NIU (not in universe)
For women who gave birth in the last three to five years, ANSWELL_ALL indicates whether she experienced swelling or edema while pregnant.
ANSWELL_ALL consists of separate variables, covering the most recent birth (ANSWELL_01) and, in some cases, additional births, potentially up to the sixth-most-recent birth (i.e., ANSWELL_02, ANSWELL_03, ANSWELL_04, ANSWELL_05, and ANSWELL_06). For most surveys, this information on swelling or edema as a complication of pregnancy was collected for only the most recent birth; exceptions are noted in the comparability section.
Comparability — Index
Apart from universe differences and slight differences in question wording, ANSWELL_ALL is largely comparable across samples. Surveys collecting these data on more than the most recent birth are noted below.
Comparability - Standard DHS
ANSWELL_ALL is a country-specific variable, and it is not included in the standard DHS questionnaire.
Comparability — India [top]
The 2005 and 2015 India surveys collected this information on swelling or edema during pregnancy on only the most recent birth; the 1998 India survey collected this information on both the most recent birth (ANSWELL_01) and the second-most-recent birth (ANSWELL_02). The 1998, 2005, and 2015 India surveys ask whether the woman experienced "swelling of the legs, body, or face."
Comparability — Yemen [top]
The 2013 Yemen survey asks whether the woman experienced "swelling of the face and body" during pregnancy.
- India 1998: Ever-married women age 15-49 who gave birth in the 3 years before the survey.
- India 2005: Women age 15-49 who gave birth in the 5 years before the survey.
- India 2015: Women age 15-49 who gave birth in the 5 years before the survey.
- Morocco 2003: Women age 15-49 who gave birth in the 5 years before the survey.
- Yemen 2013: Women age 15-49 who have ever been married and who gave birth in the 5 years before the survey.