Codes and Frequencies
DHS_IPUMSI_ KE provides geographic codes for Kenya that match those in the DHS and IPUMS-International databases. This variable can be used to link contextual area data from IPUMS-DHS to IPUMS-International or vice versa. The codes in DHS_IPUMSI_KE indicate the major administrative unit in which the household was enumerated or surveyed.
GIS shapefiles for Kenya can be downloaded here.
The units in DHS_IPUMSI_KE are harmonized across DHS and IPUMS-International samples to account for changing boundaries in the major administrative level of geography. The time span for DHS samples is 1989 to 2014 and corresponds to the census samples from 1969 to 2009 in IPUMS-International.
The 1989, 1993, and 1998 DHS surveys exclude the Northeastern province.
- Kenya 1989: All women age 15-49.
- Kenya 1993: All women age 15-49.
- Kenya 1998: All women age 15-49.
- Kenya 2003: All women age 15-49.
- Kenya 2008: All women age 15-49.
- Kenya 2014: All women age 15-49.