Codes and Frequencies
DHS_IPUMSI_ LR provides geographic codes for Liberia that match those in the DHS and IPUMS-International databases. This variable can be used to link contextual area data from IPUMS-DHS to IPUMS-International or vice versa. The codes in DHS_IPUMSI_LR indicate the major administrative unit in which the household was enumerated or surveyed.
GIS shapefiles for Liberia can be downloaded here.
The units in DHS_IPUMSI_LR are harmonized across DHS and IPUMS-International samples to account for changing boundaries in the major administrative level of geography. Although the time span for DHS samples are 1986 to 2013, only the 2013 DHS sample could be harmonized in DHS_IPUMSI_LR. The corresponding IPUMS-International samples range from 1974 to 2008.
There were several boundaries that changed over time in Liberia. Geographic units were harmonized to create regions with boundaries that remain stable over time.
- Grand Kru and Margibi counties were both created in 1984 from Maryland; although the census separately records these in 1974.
- In 1984, Bomi territory was promoted to county, thus splitting it from Montserrado County.
- In 2000, River Gee was created from Gran Gedeh
- In 2001, Gbarpolu was created from Lofa.
- Liberia 2013: All women age 15-49.