Codes and Frequencies
DHS_IPUMSI_ ML provides geographic codes for Mali that match those in the DHS and IPUMS-International databases. This variable can be used to link contextual area data from IPUMS-DHS to IPUMS-International or vice versa. The codes in DHS_IPUMSI_ML indicate the major administrative unit in which the household was enumerated or surveyed.
GIS shapefiles for Mali can be downloaded here.
The units in DHS_IPUMSI_ML are harmonized across DHS and IPUMS-International samples to account for changing boundaries in the major administrative level of geography. The time span for DHS samples is 1995 to 2012 and corresponds to the census samples from 1987 to 2009 in IPUMS-International.
The Mali 1987 DHS sample is excluded from DHS_IPUMSI_ML due to inconsistent boundaries and geographic units.
The 2012 DHS Mali survey excludes the following regions:
- Tombouctou, Kidal, and Gao.
- Parts of Mopti (Douentza, Tenenkou, and Youwarou cercles)
- Mali 1995: All women age 15-49.
- Mali 2001: All women age 15-49.
- Mali 2006: All women age 15-49.
- Mali 2012: All women age 15-49.