Codes and Frequencies
For women who have heard of charms or amulets as a contraceptive method, FPSRCINCHRM reports where she would go to obtain a charm or amulet, if she wanted to use it to delay or prevent pregnancy. Response categories vary across samples. See Comparability.
The related variable FPSRCINCHRMS reports where the woman would go to obtain a charm or amulet, with answers recorded using standard responses and consistent codes.
Along with universe differences, the response categories for FPSRCINCHRM vary across samples.
The harmonized coding categories in the IPUMS-DHS variable FPSRCINCHRM were constructed to reflect the major and minor categories in the original DHS variable. The major categories are:
- 0: No source
- 100: Public sector facilities
- 200: Private medical sector facilities
- 300: Unspecified medical sector facilities
- 400: Other
The second and third digits of FPSRCINCHRM's codes distinguish between specific locations and provide detail present in only some samples.
Comparability - Standard DHS
FPSRCINCHRM is a country-specific variable, and it is not included in any phase of the standard DHS questionnaire. However, this variable is part of a series on where the woman could obtain a given contraceptive method, which is included in Phase I of the standard DHS questionnaire.
- Burundi 1987: Women age 15-49 who have heard of charms or amulets for family planning.
- Mali 1987: Women age 15-49 who have heard of charms or amulets for family planning.
- Senegal 1986: Women age 15-49 who have heard of charms or amulets for family planning.