Codes and Frequencies
For women who have ever been married or lived with a man, MARCHOICE indicates whether the woman chose to live with him or the union was arranged.
Along with universe differences and slight differences in question wording, MARCHOICE differs across samples in the number of response categories. Some samples only ask whether the respondent chose the marriage or whether someone else arranged the marriage for the respondent. Other samples also ask who, if someone other than the respondent, arranged the marriage.
To maximize comparability, IPUMS-DHS uses composite coding, with "Respondent's choice" having a first digit of "1" and "Arranged by someone else" having a first digit of "2." The second digit distinguishes between other individuals who arranged the marriage, when this additional information is available.
Comparability - Standard DHS
MARCHOICE is a country-specific variable, and it is not included in any phase of the standard DHS questionnaire.
- Ethiopia 2016: Women age 15-49 who have ever been married or lived with a partner.
- Kenya 2014: Women age 15-49 who have ever been married or lived with a partner, in households selected for the long questionnaire.
- Mali 2006: Women age 15-49 who have ever been married or lived with a partner.
- Pakistan 2012: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Pakistan 2017: Ever-married women age 15-49.