Codes and Frequencies
SHOPWITH indicates whether the respondent goes or is allowed to go shopping alone or with other people.
Comparability — Index
In addition to universe difference, SHOPWITH has significant variation in question wording and the number of response categories. See below.
Comparability - Standard DHS
SHOPWITH is a country-specific variable, and it is not included in any phase of the standard DHS questionnaire.
Comparability — Bangladesh [top]
The 2000 and 2004 Bangladesh surveys ask, "Do you usually go [to shopping/marketing] with your children or your husband or other relatives?"
Comparability — India [top]
The 2015 India survey asks, "Are you usually allowed to go to the following places alone, only with someone else, or not at all: To the market?"
- Bangladesh 1997: Currently-married women age 10-49 who go shopping or to the market.
- Bangladesh 2000: Ever-married women age 10-49 who go shopping or to the market.
- Bangladesh 2004: Ever-married women age 10-49 who go shopping or to the market.
- India 2005: All women age 15-49.
- India 2015: Women age 15-49 in households selected for the state module.