Codes and Frequencies
DHS_IPUMSI_ EG provides geographic codes for Egypt that match those in the DHS and IPUMS-International databases. This variable can be used to link contextual area data from IPUMS-DHS to IPUMS-International or vice versa. The codes in DHS_IPUMSI_ EG indicate the major administrative unit in which the household was enumerated or surveyed.
GIS shapefiles for Egypt can be downloaded here.
The units in DHS_IPUMSI_EG are harmonized across DHS and IPUMS-International samples to account for changing boundaries in the major administrative level of geography. The time span for DHS samples is 1988 to 2014 and corresponds to the census samples from 1986 to 2006 in IPUMS-International. The 2003 interim survey is not included in DHS_IPUMSI_EG.
The Frontier governorates are excluded from DHS 1988 and 1992 surveys, and North and South Sinai are excluded from the 2014 survey.
Helwan and 6th of October are part of the IPUMS International 2006 data, but they are neither included in the DHS surveys nor represented in the GIS files.
- Egypt 1988: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 1992: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 1995: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 2000: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 2005: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 2008: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 2014: Ever-married women age 15-49.