Codes and Frequencies
DHS_IPUMSI_ IA provides geographic codes for India that match those in the DHS and IPUMS-International databases. This variable can be used to link contextual area data from IPUMS-DHS to IPUMS-International or vice versa. The codes in DHS_IPUMSI_IA indicate the major administrative unit in which the household was enumerated or surveyed.
GIS shapefiles for India can be downloaded here.
The units in DHS_IPUMSI_IA are harmonized across DHS and IPUMS-International samples to account for changing boundaries in the major administrative level of geography. The time span for DHS samples are 1992 to 2015 and corresponds to the National Sample Survey Organization samples from 1983 to 2009 in IPUMS-International.
Sikkim and the Kashmir region of Jammu and Kashmir were excluded from the 1992 DHS sample. Also, some of the union territories were excluded from the DHS surveys till 2005:
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Chattisgarh created from Madyha Pradesh
- Jharkhand created from Bihar
- Uttaranchal created from Uttar Pradesh
- Telangana created from Andhra Pradesh
- Daman and Diu split from Goa in 1987 and is combined in the earlier samples. Daman and Diu is an union territory.
- India 1992: Ever-married women age 13-49.
- India 1998: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- India 2005: All women age 15-49.
- India 2015: All women age 15-49.