Codes and Frequencies
DHS_IPUMSI_PK provides geographic codes for Pakistan that match those in the IPUMS-DHS and IPUMS-International databases. This variable can be used to link contextual area data from IPUMS-DHS to IPUMS-International or vice versa. The codes in DHS_IPUMSI_PK indicate the major administrative unit in which the household was enumerated or surveyed.
GIS shapefiles for Pakistan can be downloaded here.
The units in DHS_IPUMSI_PK are harmonized across IPUMS-DHS and IPUMS-International samples to account for changing boundaries in the major administrative level of geography. The time span for DHS samples is 1991 to 2017 and corresponds to the census samples from 1973 to 1998 in IPUMS-International.
Several areas in Pakistan are excluded from both DHS and IPUMS-International surveys:
- FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas) is excluded from all DHS surveys except the 2017 survey and IPUMS-International surveys
- FANA (Federally Administered Northern Areas) is excluded from the 1991 and 2006 DHS surveys. Gilgit Baltistan, an area within FANA, was included in the 2012 and 2017 DHS surveys but was excluded from the 1991 and 2006 DHS surveys
- The other part of FANA, Azad Jammu and Kashmir, is excluded from all surveys except the 2017 DHS survey
- The North West Frontier was named Khyber Pakhtunkhwa prior to 2010
- FANA is excluded from all IPUMS-International surveys
- Pakistan 1991: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Pakistan 2006: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Pakistan 2012: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Pakistan 2017: Ever-married women age 15-49.