Codes and Frequencies
DHS_IPUMSI_ ZM provides geographic codes for Zambia that match those in the DHS and IPUMS-International databases. This variable can be used to link contextual area data from IPUMS-DHS to IPUMS-International or vice versa. The codes in DHS_IPUMSI_ZM indicate the major administrative unit in which the household was enumerated or surveyed.
GIS shapefiles for Zambia can be downloaded here.
The units in DHS_IPUMSI_ZM are harmonized across DHS and IPUMS-International samples to account for changing boundaries in the major administrative level of geography. The time span for DHS samples is 1992 to 2018 and corresponds to the census samples from 1990 to 2010 in IPUMS-International.
Boundary Changes: Muchinga province was formed from parts of the Northern and Eastern provinces after 2010.
- Zambia 1992: All women age 15-49.
- Zambia 1996: All women age 15-49.
- Zambia 2001: All women age 15-49.
- Zambia 2007: All women age 15-49.
- Zambia 2013: All women age 15-49.
- Zambia 2018: All women age 15-49.