Codes and Frequencies
GEO_ CM1991_2011 indicates the region of Cameroon where the respondent was interviewed. The variable is integrated to yield units with consistent boundaries across samples.
Labels identify the modern geographic units (grouped regions) contained in each integrated region. Each sample also has its own non-integrated geography variable. All Cameroon samples have greater geographic detail available in their sample-specific variables. An additional integrated variable, GEO_CM2004_2011, contains greater geographic detail (regions).
An integrated GIS map (in shapefile format) for Cameroon can be downloaded here.
Cameroon included grouped regions in the 1991 and 1998 samples. In 1991, the cities of Yaoundé and Douala were grouped into one region. The 1998 sample divided the cities into separate regions:
- Yaoundé with Centre, Sud, and Est
- Douala with Ouest and Littoral
For spatially consistent boundaries, GEO_CM1991_2011 groups the following regions:
- Adamaoua, Nord, and Extrême-Nord
- Yaoundé and Douala with Centre, Sud, Este, Ouest, and Littoral
- Nord-Ouest and Sud-Ouest
- Cameroon 1991: All women age 15-49.
- Cameroon 1998: All women age 15-49.
- Cameroon 2004: All women age 15-49.
- Cameroon 2011: All women age 15-49.