Codes and Frequencies
GEO_PK1991_2017 reports the region of Pakistan where the respondent was interviewed. The variable is integrated to yield units with consistent boundaries across samples.
Labels identify the modern geographic units (provinces) contained in each integrated region. Each sample also has its own non-integrated geography variable.
An integrated GIS map (in shapefile format) for Pakistan, using the units in GEO_PK1991_2017, can be downloaded here.
There are several boundary issues with respect to the Pakistan surveys:
- FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas) is excluded from all the surveys except the 2017 survey.
- FANA (Federally Administered Northern Areas) is excluded from the 1991 and 2006 survey. Gilgit Baltistan, an area within FANA, was included in the 2012 and 2017 surveys but was excluded from the 1991 and 2006 surveys.
- The other part of FANA, Azad Jammu and Kashmir, is excluded from all the surveys except the 2017 survey.
- For the 2012 and 2017 samples, Islamabad is coded separately and not included in Punjab as in the 1991 and 2006 samples.
- The North West Frontier was named Khyber Pakhtunkhwa prior to 2010.
- Pakistan 1991: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Pakistan 2006: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Pakistan 2012: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Pakistan 2017: Ever-married women age 15-49.