Codes and Frequencies
GEO_UG1995_2016 indicates the region of Uganda where the respondent was interviewed. The variable is integrated to yield units with consistent boundaries across samples.
Labels identify the modern geographic units (grouped districts) contained in each integrated region. Each sample also has its own non-integrated geography variable. The 2006, 2011, and 2016 samples have greater geographic detail available in their sample-specific variables. As such, an additional integrated variable, GEO_UG2006_2016, displays the greater geographic detail of the grouped districts.
An integrated GIS map (in shapefile format) for Uganda can be downloaded here. Users should note that this shapefile does not currently contain Uganda 2016.
Uganda had 4 grouped districts in 1995 and 2001 which later split into 15 grouped districts:
- Central split into Central 1, Central 2, and Kampala
- Eastern split into East Central and Eastern; East Central and Eastern later split into Busoga, Bukedi, Bugishu, and Teso
- Northern split into West Nile and North; North later split into Karamoja, Lango, and Acholi
- Western split into Southwest and Western; Southwest later split into Ankole and Kigezi, and Western later split into Bunyoro and Tooro
The Uganda 1988 sample is excluded from GEO_ UG1995_2016 due to inconsistent boundaries.
- Uganda 1995: All women age 15-49.
- Uganda 2001: All women age 15-49.
- Uganda 2006: All women age 15-49.
- Uganda 2011: All women age 15-49.
- Uganda 2016: All women age 15-49.