Codes and Frequencies
GEO_UG2006_2016 indicates the region of Uganda where the respondent was interviewed. The variable is integrated to yield units with consistent boundaries across samples.
Labels identify the modern geographic units (grouped districts) contained in each integrated region. Each sample also has its own non-integrated geography variable. The 2011 and 2016 samples have greater geographic detail available in their sample-specific variables. An additional integrated variable, GEO_UG1995_2016 includes the 1995 and 2001 Uganda samples and has less geographic detail.
An integrated GIS map (in shapefile format) for Uganda can be downloaded here. Users should note that this shapefile does not currently contain Uganda 2016.
Uganda had 9 grouped districts in 2006, which later split into 10 grouped districts in 2011, resulting from North splitting into Karamoja and North. In 2016, these 10 grouped districts split into 15 grouped districts:
- East Central and Eastern split into Busoga, Bukedi, Bugishu, and Teso
- North split into Lango and Acholi
- Western split into Bunyoro and Tooro
- Southwest split into Ankole and Kigezi
The Uganda 1988, 1995, and 2001 samples are excluded from GEO_ UG2006_2016 due to inconsistent boundaries.
- Uganda 2006: All women age 15-49.
- Uganda 2011: All women age 15-49.
- Uganda 2016: All women age 15-49.