Codes and Frequencies
GEOALT_ MW2010_2016 indicates the region of Malawi where the respondent was interviewed. The variable is integrated to yield units with consistent boundaries across samples.
DHS regions in GEOALT_ MW2010_2016 are equivalent to districts. Each sample also has its own non-integrated geography variable. An additional integrated variable, GEO_MW1992_2016, includes the 1992, 2000, and 2004 Malawi samples and contains less geographic detail (regions).
An integrated GIS map (in shapefile format) for Malawi can be downloaded here.
Malawi lists 27 districts in 2010 and 32 districts in 2016.
- Nkhatabay and Likoma are combined. Likoma is a small island and is included in Nkhatabay in the 2010 sample
- Mzuzu city is combined with Mzimba. Mzuzu city is the urban area within Mzimba and are combined in the 2010 sample
- Lilongwe city is combined with Lilongwe. Lilongwe city is the urban area within Lilongwe and are combined in the 2010 sample
- Zomba city is combined with Zomba. Zomba city is the urban area within Zomba and are combined in the 2010 sample
- Blantyre city is combined with Blantyre. Blantyre city is the urban area within Blantyre and are combined in the 2010 sample
- Malawi 2010: All women age 15-49.
- Malawi 2016: All women age 15-49.