Codes and Frequencies
BRCANSELF indicates whether the woman has ever examined her breasts to detect or check for breast cancer.
Comparability — Index
Apart from universe differences and slight differences in question wording, BRCANSELF is largely comparable across samples.
Comparability - Standard DHS
BRCANSELF is a country-specific variable, and it is not included in any phase of the standard DHS questionnaire.
Comparability — Jordan [top]
The 2007, 2012, and 2017 Jordan surveys ask, "Have you performed a breast cancer self exam to detect breast cancer in yourself within the last 12 months [emphasis added]?"
Comparability — Lesotho [top]
The 2009 and 2014 Lesotho surveys ask, "Have you performed a breast self exam to detect lumps within the last 12 months [emphasis added]?"
- Jordan 2007: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Jordan 2012: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Jordan 2017: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Kenya 2014: Women age 15-49 in households selected for the long questionnaire.
- Lesotho 2009: All women age 15-49.
- Lesotho 2014: All women age 15-49.
- Namibia 2013: All women age 15-49.