Codes and Frequencies
Women who responded to FCCONTINU that female circumcision should continue were asked an open-ended question about why it should continue. FCCHPLEAS captures whether they said the practice should continue because increases the husband's sexual pleasure.
Apart from universe differences and slight differences in question wording, FCCHPLEAS has no comparability problems.
Comparability - Standard
FCCHPLEAS is included in neither the standard DHS questionnaire nor in any of the three versions of the standard DHS module on female genital cutting.
- Cote d'Ivoire 1998: Women age 15-49 who think FC should continue.
- Egypt 1995: Ever-married women age 15-49 who have heard of FC and think FC should continue.
- Mali 1995: All women age 15-49.
- Niger 1998: Women age 15-49 who think FC should continue.
- Nigeria 1999: Women age 10-49 who think FC should continue.