Codes and Frequencies
IRONYN indicates whether the household has an iron.
The information in IRONYN is taken from the household record, linked to the record of the woman respondent. This information applies to household residents, not temporary visitors, so researchers may wish to exclude visitors using the RESIDENT variable (with visitors coded "2").
Comparability — Index
IRONYN has some differences in question wording across samples. The question was most often phrased as "Does your household have an electric iron?" Surveys with significantly different wording are discussed below.
Comparability - Standard DHS
IRONYN is a country-specific household variable not included in the standard DHS questionnaire.
Comparability — Nigeria [top]
The 1999 Nigerian survey asked whether the household had an electric iron "in good working order." The 2013 Nigerian survey only referred to "an electric iron."
Comparability — Tanzania [top]
The 2004, 2010, and 2015 Tanzanian surveys asked whether the household had an electric or charcoal iron.
- Benin 2006: All women age 15-49.
- Nigeria 1999: All women age 15-49.
- Nigeria 2003: All women age 15-49.
- Nigeria 2008: All women age 15-49.
- Nigeria 2013: All women age 15-49.
- Nigeria 2018: All women age 15-49.
- Tanzania 2004: All women age 15-49.
- Tanzania 2010: All women age 15-49.
- Tanzania 2015: All women age 15-49.