Codes and Frequencies
KOLLAYN indicates whether the household has a kolla/zeer, a non-electric refrigeration device. It uses a porous outer earthenware pot, lined with wet sand, which contains an inner pot for holding food or water. Evaporation of the outer liquid draws heat from the inner pot and thus can be used to cool the substance inside.
The information in KOLLAYN is taken from the household record, linked to the record of the woman respondent. This information applies to household residents, not temporary visitors, so researchers may wish to exclude visitors using the RESIDENT variable (with visitors coded "2").
Comparability — Index
Apart from slight differences in question wording, KOLLAYN is largely comparable across samples.
Comparability - Standard DHS
KOLLAYN is a country-specific household variable not included in the standard DHS questionnaire.
Comparability — Jordan [top]
The 2017 Jordan survey asks whether the household has a "water cooler."
- Egypt 2005: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 2008: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 2014: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Jordan 2007: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Jordan 2009: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Jordan 2012: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Jordan 2017: Ever-married women age 15-49.