Codes and Frequencies
TRUCKVAN indicates whether any member of the household owns transport equipment, such as a truck, van, bus, or taxi. The related variable CAR may indicate ownership of a truck as well as private car ownership.
The information in TRUCKVAN is taken from the household record, linked to the record of the woman respondent. This information applies to household residents, not temporary visitors, so researchers may wish to exclude visitors using the RESIDENT variable (with visitors coded "2").
Comparability — Index
Along with universe differences, TRUCKVAN differs across samples in the type of vehicle referred to (as documented below).
Comparability - Standard DHS
TRUCKVAN is a country-specific household variable not included in the standard DHS questionnaire.
Comparability — Ethiopia [top]
The 2016 Ethiopian survey asks whether any member of the household owns "a bagag" (sometimes spelled "bajaj"), a mini taxi.
Comparability — Jordan [top]
The 1990 and 1997 Jordan surveys ask whether the household owns a "commercial car."
Comparability — Morocco [top]
The 1987 Moroccan survey asks separate questions about the ownership of a truck and a van. The 2003 Moroccan survey asks about the ownership of the "means of transportation of goods," which could mean commercial transportation vehicles.
Comparability — Nepal [top]
The 2006 Nepal survey asks whether any member of the household owns "a tempo," a kind of autorickshaw, powered by electricity or gas and available in larger cities--or, in other words, a sort of taxi.
Comparability — Senegal [top]
The 1997 Senegal survey asks whether the household possesses "some other means of transport," after asking specifically about cars, motorcycles, carts, and carriages.
Comparability — Yemen [top]
The 1991 Yemen survey asks whether the household has "a taxi" at their dwelling.
- Burundi 1987: All women age 15-49.
- Egypt 1988: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Egypt 1992: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Ethiopia 2016: All women age 15-49.
- Jordan 1990: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Jordan 1997: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Morocco 1987: Ever-married women age 15-49.
- Morocco 2003: All women age 15-49.
- Nepal 2006: All women age 15-49.
- Senegal 1997: All women age 15-49.
- Senegal 2005: All women age 15-49.
- Senegal 2017: All women age 15-49.
- Yemen 1991: Ever-married women age 15-54.