IPUMS Online Data Analysis System
The IPUMS online analysis system uses high-speed tabulation software developed at UC-Berkeley's Computer-assisted Survey Methods Program.
To use the data analysis system, you must log in with your DHS username and password. Select dataset(s) for countries for which you have received approval to download data.
After clicking on the link for one of the datasets, specify the following to create a table:
- a row variable
- a column variable (optional): will be cross-tabulated with the row variable
- filters (optional): can be used to include only certain cases in your analysis (e.g., exclude missing and not in universe values)
- controls (optional): produces a separate table for each category of the specified variable
- weights: The default is set to the population adjustment factor (POPWT) created by IPUMS DHS to generate weighted count estimates of individuals in each country. Other weights are available and may be used
- to weight up to the sample size (PERWEIGHT)
- to include only women responding to domestic violence questions (DVWEIGHT)
- to adjust up to survey counts for all women if only ever-married women were surveyed (AWFACTT)
At this time SDA includes only women of childbearing age as the unit of analysis (and some of the characteristics of their households) and only the 3000 most popular IPUMS DHS variables. If there is a specific variable you would like to see included, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on any of the links below to get started. Tables are made in approximately 5-15 seconds.Jump to:
Multi-sample country datasets
Multi-Sample Country Datasets
Include the year variable when using multi-sample country datasets.
|Congo Democratic Republic||2007-2013|
Include the sample variable when using regional datasets, such as "North Africa."
|North Africa||1988-2017||21 samples|
|Sub-Saharan Africa||1986-2018||126 samples|
|South and Southeast Asia||1987-2017||23 samples|